The age old boring debate as to whether Britain should add another runway at Heathrow, Gatwick or build a totally new airport at Cliffe on the Kent marshes seems to have ground to a halt again thanks to eco warrior nerds like Bill Oddie highlighting the cause of the lesser spotted swamp warbler.This is all so pointless when a solution is so obvious. Simply evict all the people off the Isle of Wight, a course of action we British are rather good at (ask any Diego Garcian), bulldoze the old crap that’s currently there and build a massive, new shiney airport to be proud of – job done.
Any complaints from the ex Isle of Wightians about losing their island home can easily be addressed by deportation to Tristan da Cunha; a worthless little rock in the South Atlantic who’s 263 (possibly related) inhabitants could well do with the breeding stock.

3 comments:
Surely the inhabitants of the Isle of Wight could also do with some fresh blood... it might be an interesting evolutionary experiment to see whether the two places had diverged so as not to be capable of breeding together!
Talking of Cliffe and the threat to marsh birds, I'm not convinced by polemic twitchers as inter-tidal environments are natually variable - as an honoury fenner it was one of the first things I learnt that humanity creates the conditions for the environment and habitat of all the life it supports and that our relationship between them is constantly changing (if you ever get the chance visit Adventurer's Fen - Britain's Death Valley... and still sinking!).
So if land is reclaimed in the Thames estuary this will only reshape the undersea topography and reform the same marshes further out. So what I'd be more worried about is the threat to the aircraft from all the birds at a major migratory stop - we know what happens when one is sucked into an aircraft engine, so how many repeats of the Hudson river landing will we get?
Hello Oranjepan - clearly this was written tongue in cheek but we as a nation are slipping into nimbyism and whoever wins the next election had better realise fast that the UK is starting to smell 'slightly off'.
To be honest with you - I couldn't give a shit about the birds or newts or long legged march weeblers, this country needs a make-over - if your Libdems are the ones to bring that to fruition - fine, I'll vote for you.
Sure, I can occasionally be a bit OTT myself...
I quite fancy the idea of a make-over to escape the suffocating frustrations of the past too, but I don't think it will ever be able to be done at the snap of the fingers. I don't want any massive project to be hampered forever by shortcuts imposed by short-sighted cheapness in the design stages, so if it's worth doing... (dissolves into cliche).
Post a Comment