I’ve seen a good few of them in my time both from the inside and out. I’ve sat in traffic, been delayed and not once have I wished it didn’t happen.
Back in the early eighties I got rather pissed down there one weekend and essentially passed out in the crash tent with no sleeping bag, blanket or means to keep me warm.
I awoke about six o clock in the morning lying on a blanket covered by a quilt with my head on a rolled up jumper. Next to me was a massive hard looking ‘rocker’ wearing a leather jacket with requisite cut off jean jacket rolling a big fat spliff. He asked me if I was alright and informed me that he’d seen me shivering in the night and had put his spare quilt over me. I thanked him and wandered off home. What a bloke - I’ll never forget that simple act of kindness.
Everyone involved in the festival from RBC, the Police, the shopkeepers and the people living near to the site should be proud of this coming weekend – you deserve a big pat on your collective backs.
One can only hope that this year, the BBCs South Today and others do not exaggerate any problems that may occur from the odd bonfire, drug deal and drunken teenagers having their mobiles pinched like last year.
Respect to Reading Festival - I’ve been inconvenienced by it many times and will happily be inconvenienced again – for one weekend at least – we’re on the map.

No comments:
Post a Comment