In the seventies any five year old could pop down the shop and pick up ten candy cigarettes with pink ends simulating them being lit, and a pack of coconut rolling tobacco.All batteries were made by Ever Ready and all crisps were made by Golden Wonder. Anyone who drank semi skimmed milk was a ‘veggie’ or very poor; at school we were forced to drink a third of a pint bottle of milk a day and viewed it as torture – the bottle rim smelt of fat.
All fizzy drinks abroad were Fanta, all sweets cost a penny, soap came in bars that split down the middle and was to be avoided at all costs, alcohol was drunk in pubs by dads and granddads with a cigarette or pipe and a game of dominoes.
Datsun made luxury cars for a fraction of the cost of a quality car such as a Rover, anyone driving a Jaguar clearly had loads of money or was a bank robber, or both and lived in Spain near Tony’s Knuckles Bar on the Costa Del Sol to which other ex pat Brits flocked for his BBQ broken fucking ribs and fractured in two places leg of lamb casserole.
Woolworths were kings of the high street along with C & A and Wimpy; all three jointly represented the seventies in the tat that passed as acceptable in 1974 and all three are guilty of fearing change and being overtaken by more niche and bulk buying opposition. All three deserved to fail.
I pulled into a service station a few months ago and had to do a double take when I saw a Wimpy Bar in the forecourt. I had a cheese burger and chips followed by a flashback to Croydon 1977, it was an authentic Wimpy burger as served in the seventies; infact, the one I had tasted like it had been served in the seventies – I’ve heard the company who have re-launched the burger chain have plans to open the first burger franchise on a cruise ship; their next adventure when the SS Titanic 2 sets sale to New York in 2010 in a bid to win the Blue Ribbon.
I’m going to open a shop selling thirty year old furniture. Call it – ‘vintage’ and charge shit loads of money. I expect I’ll sell bugger all because people don’t want stuff from the seventies; even if it was ‘state of the art’, ‘cutting edge’ and current when the power cut was fashionable.
Today, forget the nostalgia that was never there for the seventies previously; it looks like ‘stuff from the seventies’ and you can’t polish a turd so where does the BBC get it’s wacky idea of putting on a whole peak viewing, prime time night of paid for, no royalties due, dated and by today’s standards – unfunny examples of why today we’re not watching The Black and White Minstrel Show or Love Thy Neighbour anymore.
All fizzy drinks abroad were Fanta, all sweets cost a penny, soap came in bars that split down the middle and was to be avoided at all costs, alcohol was drunk in pubs by dads and granddads with a cigarette or pipe and a game of dominoes.
Datsun made luxury cars for a fraction of the cost of a quality car such as a Rover, anyone driving a Jaguar clearly had loads of money or was a bank robber, or both and lived in Spain near Tony’s Knuckles Bar on the Costa Del Sol to which other ex pat Brits flocked for his BBQ broken fucking ribs and fractured in two places leg of lamb casserole.
Woolworths were kings of the high street along with C & A and Wimpy; all three jointly represented the seventies in the tat that passed as acceptable in 1974 and all three are guilty of fearing change and being overtaken by more niche and bulk buying opposition. All three deserved to fail.
I pulled into a service station a few months ago and had to do a double take when I saw a Wimpy Bar in the forecourt. I had a cheese burger and chips followed by a flashback to Croydon 1977, it was an authentic Wimpy burger as served in the seventies; infact, the one I had tasted like it had been served in the seventies – I’ve heard the company who have re-launched the burger chain have plans to open the first burger franchise on a cruise ship; their next adventure when the SS Titanic 2 sets sale to New York in 2010 in a bid to win the Blue Ribbon.
I’m going to open a shop selling thirty year old furniture. Call it – ‘vintage’ and charge shit loads of money. I expect I’ll sell bugger all because people don’t want stuff from the seventies; even if it was ‘state of the art’, ‘cutting edge’ and current when the power cut was fashionable.
Today, forget the nostalgia that was never there for the seventies previously; it looks like ‘stuff from the seventies’ and you can’t polish a turd so where does the BBC get it’s wacky idea of putting on a whole peak viewing, prime time night of paid for, no royalties due, dated and by today’s standards – unfunny examples of why today we’re not watching The Black and White Minstrel Show or Love Thy Neighbour anymore.

No comments:
Post a Comment